Friday, February 06, 2004

I know what I said yesterday about the trains but now it appears that the train drivers are about to begin a round of wage claims. The more cynical among us might interpret the latest poor performance by Cityrail as a tactic of the train drivers union to highlight how devastating a rail strike would be to the city. I've heard people blame the Carr government and its window-dressed, veneer-thin, spin-doctored approach to critical issues like transport and policing, as well as their strange prioritising of goverment funding, preferring to pay taxpayers money on things like fireworks and semi-superannuated senior public servants than nurses wages and rail signals. I've heard people blame Cityrail's inept, outmoded and nepotic management practices. I've heard people blame previous governments for their cutbacks and spendthriftiness. Now I've heard people blaming the unions for manufacturing the transport crisis.

I don't know if any or all are true or who is to blame. The answer is probably a little from column A and a little from column B.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home