Saturday, April 16, 2005

This post is overdue.

Sympathies to the families of those service personnel who lost their lives in the recent Sea King accident.

This stuff hurts. It hurts for a lot of reasons. It hurts because the RAN Fleet Air Arm is so very small, that the consequences of a tragedy are proportionally greater than elsewhere. It hurts because of my background, growing up in a Navy family, my father being a member of that squadron Long, Long Ago. It hurts because my first aircraft ride was on a Sea King belonging to that squadron. Because the first aircraft accident I saw, my first clear indication that human beings were fallible, was a Sea King of that squadron. Because I am a pilot, and I know the feeling that comes from knowing that you are alone and something very bad is going to happen to you very soon.

So, my condolences.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home