Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Pink - she's not here for your entertainment, which seems a strange attitude to adopt if you are a professional entertainer, but in her case one which I entirely agree with.

What have I been doing? Why have I not been updating? I got a bit fed up with the whole blogging "thing" (feel free to wiggled four fingers in the air in accepted imitation of inverted commas,) then I decided I would get back into it by posting my flights. A combination of lack of funds, poor weather and the current surfeit of suitable flight instructors meant I hadn't flown since October. But today I did.

Did you know there is a shortage of pilots? I do - the airlines have sucked up almost all the commercial pilots from general aviation, leaving hardly any instructors, only those who are happy in GA (yes, they are out there, but few and far between,) and those whose other qualities are deemed undesirable. Like sexual deviants. There are some instructors who undoubtedly fit into both categories.

You might have guessed I'm being facetious. Most pilots are sexual deviants as a matter of course, and it has never been an impediment to flying for an airline.

Before you ask - yes I do know there is a shortage of pilots out there, but given my lack of qualifications and experience I can't go and work for an airline just yet, but thanks very much for the suggestion, I know you mean well.

Todays flight was a quick 1.4 hours day VFR to Wollongong and back. I needed to get this done for an aeroplane flight review, which was due in November for me and without which I can't fly solo. Every two years this needs to be done, under the supervision of a suitable flight instructor, to ensure I haven't picked up any bad habits, like nose-picking or voting Democrat. This AFR (can't have an aviation term without an acronym, don't you know) would not have been necessary had I completed my night VFR rating before November, but c'est l'avion.

Down to Wollongong from Bankstown, instructor yawning and complaining he was bored, got me to fly overhead the field at 3000 feet then pulled the power off, glided all the way down to a gentle touch down with a gusting, swinging crosswind, then touch and go back to Bankstown. All very straightforward and good, clean fun.

So I'm legal again, until my medical is due in March next year.

1 Comments:

At 2:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, so you've finally posted again. So what??? What's happening with the young Kir? Inquiring minds NEED to know... :)

Coop.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home