Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Nice, but it could do with a slap of crimson.

I've been interested in the Roman Empire since I was in high school. I'm not quite sure why this is, what triggered my interest in this particular era of ancient history, but there you are. Perhaps it was a childhood visit to the Roxy Cinema in Nowra where I grew up, built in the art deco syle in the 30's and decorated in a gaudy Roman amphitheatre style, with fake colonnades and carvings of cherubs and gladiators.

Down at the front, though, beside the screen stood an enormous reproduction of a statue of Augustus Caesar. It was about the only decoration in the place not painted in gaudy colours and fake gold. How wrong they were, and how wrong are these.

If you've long admired Greek and Roman sculpture, then I suggest you DO NOT click on these links. If you do then I hope you have a strong gag reflex.

Top 10 Color Classical Reproductions

The ancients: now available in colour

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home